Earlier we discussed ISGP's Three Establishment Model: liberal-globalist, conservative(-nationalist) and Zionist, in which it was pointed out that the conservative establishment not only serves as controlled opposition for the globalist one, but also that it strongly turned towards Israel in the late 1970s. This model is based on an analysis of 2,000 important NGOs around the world and, as demonstrated throughout the site, works very well. However, maybe, as an additional test, we could look at the popular idea that the neoconservatives formed their own "establishment" and "took over" the Bush administration in the wake of 9/11 - and see how it fits into this Three Establishment Model.
The rise of the "neocons" post-9/11
Who remembers it? All the talk in the wake of 9/11 and the beginning of the War on Terror about the "neocon takeover" of American foreign policy? A hawkish policy in no small part aimed at fighting and overthrowing all the enemies of Israel?
This view was strongly promoted in both the mainstream and "new left" media: the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, BBC, New York Observer, the New Statesman, the San Francisco Chronicle, Christian Science Monitor, Washington Monthly, etc., etc. - they all wrote their articles on the "neocons", from discussing their descades-long past, to their responsibility for the Iraq quagmire, to worries that Iran might be their next target. 1 Popular conspiracy disinformers on the left, from 911-no-planer Peter Dale Scott 2 to RFK, Jr., who has been spreading disinformation about the death of his own father, have attacked the neocons. 3 Also "alt-right", "anti-establishment" conspiracy disinformers, Alex Jones at the top, have done the same, sometimes for decades. 4 The word "neocoon" has been dropped more than once - and makes this author laugh every time.
In that sense conspiracy disinformers on the left and right do not differ much from the mainstream media when it made observations as the "virtual takeover of the Bush administration's foreign policy" by "neocons". 5
Looking at the hopelessly propagandist TikTok feeds of the 2020s, probably one of the more time-persistent remnants of this Bush administration era - and also as one of the chief sources - was the "seven countries in five years" warning of General Wesley Clark. After a visit to the Pentagon about ten days after 9/11, he was informed about a favored neocon strategy:
"On or about the 20th of September  ... about 10 days after 9/11, I went to the Pentagon. I saw secretary [of defense Donald] Rumsfeld and deputy secretary [of defense Paul] Wolfowitz. I went downstairs, just to say hello to some of the people on the Joint Staff who used to work for me. And one of the generals called me [into his office]. ... "We've made the decision to go to war with Iraq. ... I don't know [why]. ... No, no, there's nothing new that way [in that we still can't tie Al Qaeda to Saddam Hussein.]"
"I came back to see him a few weeks later. By that time we were bombing in Afghanistan. I said, "Are we still going to war with Iraq?" And he said, "Oh, it's worse than that. ... I just got this down from upstairs, [from] the secretary of defense's office, today. This is a memo that describes how we're going to take out seven countries in five years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and finishing off Iran." 6
This quote comes from a 2007 interview of Clark by none other than Amy Goodman of Democracy Now!, the "new left", "liberal CIA" outfit heavily financed by the Ford Foundation, and has also received funding from Soros and other foundations. While the memo in question was classified and has never been seen by the public, Clark has been heavily talking about this subject since 2003, when he made a failed run for U.S. president. He always gave the same basic story with a few additional details:
- He met Paul Wolfowitz at the Pentagon in 1991, with Scooter Libby opening the door for him. At the time Wolfowitz served as under secretary of defense for policy under secretary of defense Dick Cheney, in the George H. W. Bush administration. Clark asked if Wolfowitz was happy with the outcome of the (first) Gulf War. To Clark's surprise, Wolfowitz was disappointed that Bush hadn't fully invaded Iraq and gotten rid of Saddam Hussein. On top of that, Wolfowitz stated he wanted to "clean up" Syria, which was under the Assad regime; and Iran, ruled by the Ayatollahs; "before the next great superpower comes along". 7
- On the 20th of September, 2001, days after 9/11, Clarke visited secretary of defense Donald Rumsfeld and deputy secretary of defense Paul Wolfowitz, with George W. Bush as president and Dick Cheney as vice president. During the meeting with Rumsfeld, Clark was shocked by Rumsfeld's callousness: "No one is gonna tell us where and when we can bomb. Nobody." 8 This was followed by more shocks that certainly Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz - despite not any clear ties to Al Qaeda and 9/11 - once again were plotting to "go to war" with Iraq, Syria and Iran, as well as Libya under Gaddafi, Sudan under Omar Al-Bashir, and an additional focus on terrorism harbor Lebanon and Islamic Somalia.
- Clark did not complain about the Bush administration's Afghanistan invasion: "We attacked Afghanistan. I was pretty happy about that. We should have." 9 He did not start complaining about the "policy coup" 10 until the time of the March 2003 Iraq invasion, which, in addition, he explained, was promoted in the "neoconservative press". 11
- In 2007, again looking to run for president of the United States, Clark set up the website StopIranWar.com 12, in one the site's first posts warning about "neoconservatives who don't understand the limitations of military power in achieving political ends." And "clipping the wings of these madmen" before they are "are going to kill us all". 13
It's not all untrue what Clark said. Far from it. The case could easily be made that the persons fingered as "neocons" are hawkish to the point one has to worry about self-destruction. Also, in 2007, Clark predicted the rise of ISIS, saying if the U.S. would leave Iraq prematurely, the Saudis would start financing Sunni Iraqi terrorist groups to counter Iran, leading to the possibility of the rise of a "superpowerful Sunni extremist group". 14 The major question, of course, is why the Bush administration "neocons" didn't see the rise of Shia influence in post-invasion Iraq. Arguably they spent trillions of dollars of public funds to the benefit of few billion in oil company profits, but without any real solution in sight for the region.
Chief "neocon" whistleblower General Wesley Clark: Soros-Kissinger-Brzezinski ally
In any case, here we have General Wesley Clark taking centerstage in the campaign against the hawkish agenda of the neoconservatives that dominate the Bush administration. There are a few anomalies though with Clark. One is that Clark himself has been considered a bit of a "neoconservative" due to his own high level military past, from alleged behavior as head of USSOUTHCOM in 1996-1997 to the 1999 Pristina airport incident in Kosovo in which he and fellow Bilderberger Javier Solona - then NATO secretary general - could well have started World War III with the Russians. 15 It certainly must be said that his "shock observations" about the "outlier" views of these neocons are naive to the point of unbelievability:
"The purpose of the military is to start war and change governments? It is not sort of to deter conflict. We're gonna invade countries?" 16
So who really is General Wesley Clark? Apart from his official military positions? Let's see:
- West Point graduate.
- MA in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics (PPE) in 1968 from Oxford, where he was a Rhodes Scholar.
- Graduated Ranger School and went to Vietnam afterwards.
- 1975 White House fellow working under President Ford chief of staff Donald Rumsfeld 17, a future top "neocon" who was a CFR member in the 1974-1979 period. The U.S. vice president at the time was Nelson Rockefeller, with Nelson's old protege, Henry Kissinger, as secretary of state and former national security advisor, dominating foreign policy and CIA covert operatons. Ford himself was an old member of the controversial Warren Commission, investigating the JFK assassination, alongside David Rockefeller friend, former CIA director Allen Dulles; and David Rockefeller mentor and CFR chair John J. McCloy.
- Member CFR 1983-.
- Annual visitor Munich Security Conference from at least 1999 until 2003.
- Speaker at the Commonwealth Club of California in 1999, 2001 and 2007, the last time speaking out against the "neocons".
- "Distinguished senior adviser" at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) from September 2000 on, where Henry Kissinger and Zbigniew Brzezinski sat on various boards for decades, still dominating the group in the 2000s. 18
- Among the longest-serving U.S. trustees of the far-less-U.S.-centered International Crisis Group from mid 2000 19 until 2018 20, all these years together with the group's founder, George Soros. Also on the board during much of this period was Zbigniew Brzezinski. 21
- From 2001 to 2005 he was a director of the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) - which began as a privatized CIA front for the Democrat and Republican parties - from 2001 to 2005, together with elites as Lee Hamilton, Richard Holbrooke, Morton Abramowitz, Frank Carlucci, and others. Henry Kissinger (1985-1989) and Zbigniew Brzezinski (1988-1997) used to be board members of the NED as well, as were (neo)conservatives Steve Forbes (1994-1999) and Paul Wolfowitz (1994-2001).
- No later than August 2001, Clark was a trustee of the National Committee on American Foreign Policy, a group dominated by traditional "Atlantic elitists", but also with some neocons and Israel lobby individuals on board as Jeane Kirkpatrick, Richard Pipes and Kenneth Bialkin. Centered around George Kennan, the father of the Cold War "containment" policy, it has awarded persons as David Rockefeller, Henry Kissinger (also a honorary chair in the 1990s) and George Shultz. 22
We could continue with globalist think tank positions for later years, but it should be clear that General Wesley Clark never was any kind of independent player, "outsider", or "whistleblower" when he warned the world about the "neocons". This is a person involved at that very moment in globalist think tanks with Henry Kissinger and Zbigniew Brzezinski, and quite literally employed by George Soros - the "new left" polar opposite of the neocons - at the International Crisis Group. It all makes little sense. And at the very least we can conclude that some kind of globalist roleplay is going on.
Kissinger the "anti-neocon" - while his buddy George Shultz fielded them
Other elitists have roughly supported the claims of General Wesley Clark. Richard Haass, a Rhodes scholar who was the director of Policy Planning at the State Department in 2001-2003 and subsequently, from 2003 to 2023, the president of the Council on Foreign Relations, explained that he became aware that vice president Dick Cheney, national security advisor Condoleezza Rice, and secretary of defense Donald Rumsfeld already had convinced President Bush to go to war with Iraq by July 2002:
"There was nothing imminent, nothing that was particularly new, so I didn't see any vital national interests. Nevertheless, the administration decided to go to war. I found this out in July of 2002, nine months before the war began... Guys on my staff, women on my staff said, "Something is going on... all the people working for the vice president [Dick Cheney], the national security advisor [Condoleezza Rice] and the secretary of defense [Donald Rumsfeld] are too happy. ...
"Condi [then] said [me], "Richard, save your breath. It has already been decided." This is early July 2002. So I go back to the State Department and I called my boss, Colin [Powell]. Guess what? He said, "No way. Can't be. You misread your girlfriend." ... A few days later he says, "You know, you're right." ... What is extra-ordinary is that all of this happened without there ever being a formal meeting in the Bush administration about whether to go to war." 23
What is important to note here is that certainly Haass and Rice weren't bitter enemies. Zbigniew Brzezinksi described Haass as Rice's "colleague and friend on the National Security Council" from the 1990s. 24 Colin Powell, as can be seen above, joked to Haass, "You misread your girlfriend", after he informed Powell about the apparent decision to go to war with Iraq. 25 Haass' claims that the Iraq War had nothing to do with oil and profits, or with Israel, are questionable as well. 26 Hass is a Jew, by the way.
- Henry Kissinger. 27
- Brent Scowcroft 28: A key Kissinger protege in government and as founding Kissinger Associates president.
- Lawrence Eagleburger 29: A key Kissinger protege in government and as Kissinger Associates president who, despite being against an Iraq invasion, already in the hours after 9/11 stated on TV: "The Afghani government has a responsibility that is at least as great as Osama bin Laden's. And that means, I think, we must take military action against them [as well as] a number of states." 30
- Zbigniew Brzezinski. 31
- George Soros.
- Gen. Wesley Clark.
- Condoleezza Rice 32: A key George Shultz protege and Bush national security advisor.
- Donald Rumsfeld 33: Secretary of defense.
- Dick Cheney: U.S. vice president.
- Paul Wolfowitz.
- Richard Perle.
- Paul Bremer.
- Richard Boucher.
- George Shultz. 34
- James Woolsey: A former CIA director and the chief neocon U.S.-Israel NGO liaison, who one day after 9/11 went: "The prime candidate [with 9/11] would have to be, not proven, but would have to be Iraq." 35
- General Alexander Haig: An old right-wing Kissinger protege, Knight of Malta, and 1981-1982 Reagan secretary of state. As an international advisory board member of "conservative CIA" outlet Newsmax, by January 2002 Haig openly preferred going after Syria, Iraq and Iran. 36
"Reluctantly" pro-Iraq invasion:
- Colin Powell: Bush's secretary of state.
The "Rockefeller Republican" Henry Kissinger, the "Democrat" Zbigniew Brzezinski and the "new left" "Social Democrat" George Soros against? And a "Reagan Republican" George Shultz in favor? All close friends and allies of David Rockefeller for decades-on-end through successive Democrat and Republican administrations? This "division" - a rather recognizable one - amongst he most influential elites is not particularly credible.
Ignoring his close friendship with Henry Kissinger, George Shultz has been close to David Rockefeller through the University of Chicago since 1967, the CFR, Bohemian Grove and the U.S.-USSR Trade and Economic Council since the 1970s, served as a CFR director under chairman David Rockefeller in 1980-1982, before becoming Reagan's long-time secretary of state; and was involved in David Rockefeller's Trilateral Commission and the new age-globalist State of the World Forum with the likes of David Rockefeller, Mikhail Gorbachev and Ted Turner in the 1990s.
Looking at the entire speech, there's no irony in using not just opposition speeches, but also napalm as an example of Milton Friedman's concept of "freedom". Friedman was a proponent of the most radical form of neoliberalism and libertarism: no maximum working hours, no minimum wages, no laws for such (essential) things as building codes, etc. With that Friedman (and Shultz) contrasted with "the left" and even David Rockefeller, who argued in favor of variuous forms of "corporate social responsibility", where the "Friedman Doctrine" was prominently summarized in a 1970 New York Times headline: 'The [Only] Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits [for the Shareholders]'. Both actually became key contrasting philosophies on Wall Street. This aspect is discussed at some length in ISGP's Three Establishment Model article.
In reality, the Shultz and Friedman economic doctrines cannot function long-term by themselves without being balanced out by concepts promoted by elitist friends as the Rockefeller Republican, the Clinton Democrat, or a Jimmy Carter and George Soros-type Social Democrat. In that sense it is fascinating that it was George Shultz who largely fielded the pro-Israel "Friedman Doctrine" neoconservatives, while it is up to the "Rockefeller Republicans" surrounding Kissinger and a coterie of Carter-Soros-type Social Democrats, including even Zbigniew Brzezinski, to eventually bring some blance to the table.
One thing that is certain from Brzezinski's analysis of the change between Bush 41 and Bush 43 is that the former was much more traditionally anti-Israel, a view that Brzezinski - as a top pro-Third World immigration globalist - shared. 37 In 2009 Brzezinski even suggested "a Liberty in reverse" if Israel would try to fly over U.S.-controlled Iraqi airspace to attack Iran's nuclear facilities, a reference to Israel's 1967 non-so-accidental attack on the U.S.S. Liberty. 38
It was fellow Trilateral Shultz though who largely put the Bush 43 administration together, and Shultz who since the 1980s has had among the closest ties to the Israelis of any top person in the Superclass Index. James Woolsey, cewrtainly since 9/11, has many more, but Shultz's ties started much earlier: going back to his friendship with future Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the mid 1980s, which brought Shultz into the radical CIA-Mossad and MI6-tied Zionist and pro-Israel network of the Jonathan Institute.
A long story short: this is a peculiar, hard-to-understand elite game, in which the average voter has no say. That's why ISGP developed its various models, of course.
"Neocons" as in "new Jewish conservatives" perfectly fits ISGP's models: including its controlled opposition aspect
Speaking of these models, in the 'Managed Democracy' article ISGP demonstrated the domination of David Rockefeller and friends - mainly Henry Kissinger, Zbigniew Brzezinski and George Shultz - of the Republican versus Democrat voting system in the post-World War II era. Ignoring all the additional liberal CIA" and "conservative CIA" controlled opposition elements, also discussed in the Three Establishment Model and Boxes Model articles, and just sticking to "elite elements" of society, we find that America's Republican Party is split among liberal-globalist "Rockefeller Republicans" and a more nationalistic "Christian conservative" wing.
In turn, the latter is split into the influential pro-Israel "neoconservatives" and the increasingly marginal traditional right wing: the once-anti-Jewish, Christian conservative, anti-interventionist "old right" and the pro-interventionist "new right" of the Cold War, with the "Christian Right" spread among the both of them. The "old right" for the most part became known as the conspiracy-minded "alt right" in the run up to the 2016 Trump election, who represented all these elements in one, including the neoconservatives.
The neocons and Christian conservatives have been working together against liberals, mainly Democrats, since the 1970s. This peculiar alliance only breaks down within the lowest, controlled opposition John Birch Society, alt-right conspiracy network. At this level "neocons" can be attacked without issue.
One major problem with these right-wing establishments as a whole really is that they have been dominated by the CIA and the Pentagon ever since the creation of the national security state. ISGP's article on the American Security Council and its neoconservative follow-up, the Center for Security Policy, made this painfully clear, as well as ISGP's article on Le Cercle. More recently, in the Pilgrims Society article, ISGP looked into the financing of the neocon movement through foundations as Olin, Bradley, Scaife, H. Smith Richardson Foundation and Achelis and Bodman. Not only do some of these foundations have clear CIA ties, but some of them also have had liberal establishment elites, including many Pilgrims, on the board for decades, sitting there alongside their conservative counterparts. It really makes one wonder to what extent the "neocons" or even traditional conservatives even exist as a separate establishment or if all of it is little more than just little factions within one larger establishment, controlled in its entirety by the security state. In fact, the author has already made the case that there is no such thing as a "conservative establishment".
That brings us to ISGP's definition of the "neocons": they are the "new conservatives" that emerged in the 1970s, as the pro-interventionist "new right" dropped switched its anti-Jewish character into a pro-Jewish one, as portrayed by the transition of the American Security Council to the Center for Security Policy. If anything, it might be best to refer to the Jewish aspect of the "new right" as "neoconservative", considering neoconservatism is so strongly tied to a group of Jewish scholars with an "Israel uber alles" mentality: Richard Perle, Paul Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith, Richard Pipes and quite a few others.
Most crucially, ISGP's model would predict that these neoconservatives should be just as much controlled opposition as the traditional "conservative establishment" of the "new right", "old right", and "Christian right". We've already seen evidence of that, with the Soros-, Kissinger- and -Brzezinski-tied General Wesley Clark, and much of the dominant liberal globalist media, attacking them so prominently, similar to how these newspapers always attacked the CIA-tied "new right conservatives" involved in the various scandals of the Reagan years: Iran-Contra, the wider Contra scandal, the Moonies and BCCI. Also with these "neocons:
- we can't really find a separate power base in terms of multinational financing;
- and they don't occupy the highest levels of government.
Are Rumsfeld, Cheney, etc. "neocons"? Or maybe right-wing globalists?
The term "neocon" is often liberally sprinkled out. We've given ISGP's definition of them in the previous section, but generally there's isn't a definitive answer as to what a "neoconservative" is. Some apply it to any Bush administration-tied official who supported the Iraq War or subsequent Democrat-led interventions in Syria and Gaddafi's Libya. At other times it specifically refers to hawkish Jewish scholars. Or to "conservatives" in general, which also is a very vague concept due to the globalist ties of many.
As a result, Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney - respectively secretary of defense and vice president under George W. Bush - have been labeled "neoconservatives". The problem is - and as ISGP's index of institutes demonstrates - these men have been very comfortable with the liberal-globalist establishment, having held important positions in groups ranging from the CFR and the Bretton Woods Committee to the Eisenhower Fellowships and the Atlantic Institute of International Affairs. Yes, they ended up supporting Israel stronger than almost anyone in the liberal-globalist establishment, but does this make them part of an entirely new establishment? Hardly. Throughout the 1990s Rumsfeld even was a director of Gulfstream, together with George Shultz, Colin Powell, Henry Kissinger and Lynn Forester de Rothschild. His name also appeared in Pilgrims Society membership lists of the 1990s. So did Bush's uncle, by the way, Prescott S. Bush, Jr., the brother of President George H. W. Bush. And upon seeing Cheney's puppy dog face when taking a question from David Rockefeller at the Council on Foreign Relations and hearing his introduction--quoted below--and it's immediately clear that Cheney too is extremely close to the liberal-globalist establishment:
"It's good to be back at the Council on Foreign Relations. As Pete [Peterson] mentioned, I've been a member for a long time and was actually a director for some period of time. I never mentioned that when I was campaigning for re-election back home in Wyoming." 39
Not only that, at the CFR, David Rockefeller thanked Cheney for his support for the Free Trade Agreement for all the Americas (FTAA):
"Vice president [Cheney], I just watched your whole speech, but I was particularly pleased that you gave such a strong endorsement for the Free Trade Agreement for all the Americas, a subject that has been of great concern to me for many years..." 40
The FTAA failed in 2008, but would have made it even easier for Latino immigrants to move into the United States. This not only shows that both "the left" and "the right" in American politics are globalist-oriented, but also that Cheney was fully in support of that agenda. In a joint appearance with Bill Clinton on July 13, 2017, George W. Bush showed to be of the exact same pro-Third World immigration mindset.
Real (Jewish) neocons: mid level State and Defense influencers: a list of names
If key Bush administration officials as Rumsfeld and Cheney aren't true neoconservatives, operating independently from the liberal establishment, then who are?
- National security advisor and secretary of state Condoleezza Rice? The George Shultz protege through Stanford, Chevron and Rockefeller bank JPMorgan Chase? 41
- Or secretary of state Colin Powell? Who in the 1990s was a director of Forstmann Little and Gulfstream, together with George Shultz, Donald Rumsfeld, Henry Kissinger and Lynn Forester de Rothschild?
- Or defense secretary and former CIA director Robert Gates? Who in the 1990s was to be found at the Forum For International Policy (FFIP), together with the afore-mentioned Condoleezza Rice, Colin Powell, key Kissinger proteges and Bush 41 administration men Brent Scowcroft and Lawrence Eagleburger?
These persons are the "new conservatives"? Hardly. All of them feature high up in ISGP's Superclass Index, meaning they have had involvement in dozens of liberal-globalist think tanks. And this is just a small percentage of the globalist ties. So, maybe, at the top of the Bush administration, no true neocons existed, at least not of the Jewish kind. So where were they? Well, looking at the Jewish character, the fact is that virtually all well known "neocons" fall into one or more of the categories below:
- Mid-level Pentagon employees.
- Actually also State Department employees looking at David J. Kramer.
- National security scholars.
- Executives of CIA-, State- and Pentagon-linked think tanks.
Well known neoconservatives include:
- Richard Perle
- Paul Wolfowitz
- Douglas Feith
- Michael Ledeen
- Dov Zakheim
- Frank Gaffney
- Irving Kristol
- William Kristol
- Joshua Muravchik
- Norman Podhoretz
- Midge Decter
- Richard Pipes
- Daniel Pipes
- Elliott Abrams
- Ariel Cohen
- Edward Luttwak
- David Kramer
- David & Meyrav Wurmser
The fact is, while being influential in a whole range of NGOs, these "neocons" never rose to top positions in the U.S. government. Paul Wolfowitz held the highest office: as Rumsfeld's deputy secretary of defense from 2001 to 2005. Douglas Feith, as under secretary of defense for policy, served under Wolfowitz, and, together with Michael Ledeen and AIPAC henchmen as Steven Rosen and Keith Weissman, collected much of the dirty propaganda to make a U.S. invasion of Iraq possible. 42 By 2004 they also were investigated by the FBI for secretly providing classified Pentagon information to Israel. 43 Who could have predicted that?
Already back in the early 1980s, Feith served under Richard Perle in the Defense Department. A full decade later, in 2001, Bush 43 appointed Perle chairman of the Defense Policy Board. This is not an official government position though and already in 2003 he was forced to step down. Back when Reagan came into office in 1981, Perle did have an official position at the Defense Department, but counted Fred Ikle and General Richard Stilwell, a former CIA chief in the Far East, among his superiors here. Throughout the 1980s these men were key liaisons to the secretive Cercle group, most likely arranged through the connections of their boss, deputy secretary of defense Frank Carlucci. Carlucci was a friend of controversial CIA spook Ted Shackley, who played a key role in running the Cercle group. Carlucci is actually said to have made a decision with Shackley, General Vernon Walters (ASC), George H. W. Bush and others, to try and foment a silent CIA coup of the White House in the late 1970s, which took the form of the hawkish Reagan administration 44 As we know that Carlucci, Shackley and Bush were close associates and friends from the 1970s on and into the 21st century, 45 it's not surprising either that Rumsfeld, a college friend and political protege of Carlucci; and George W. Bush, the son of George H. W. Bush, allowed the neocons to return. However, the neocons do not control anything. They are always brought in as assistants.
As has been discussed in some detail in ISGP's American Security Council article, many neocons originated from the office of Senator Henry Jackson to be employed as "detente wreckers", the famous policy embraced by secretary of state and national security advisor Henry Kissinger, with support from the Rockefellers and much of the CFR elite. Back in the 1970s the following upcoming neocons all were employed at Senator Jackson's office, which by itself is a curious situation:
- Richard Perle 46 ;
- Paul Wolfowitz 47 ;
- Frank Gaffney 48 ;
- Edward Luttwak 49, (earlier Perle's roommate at the London School of Economics 50) ;
- Douglas Feith 51 ;
- Elliott Abrams 52 .
Senator Henry Jackson was listed among the "The Founders, Benefactors and Strategists" of the American Security Council and known as a hawkish, anti-communist Democrat senator from 1953 until his death in 1983. In 1976 he and the CIA-tied neocon Michael Ledeen were founders of the Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs (JINSA), where CIA director James Woolsey, Dick Cheney, Richard Perle, Paul Wolfowitz (a co-chair) and Douglas Feith (vice chair) all ended up on the board. In fact, Ledeen, Woolsey and Perle jointly left the board of JINSA in 2012. In 1979 Senator Henry Jackson was part of the Jonathan Institute in Jerusalem, again surrounded by Jewish neoconservatives, as well as a recently retired CIA director George H. W. Bush. Then, 22 years after this death, in 2005, prominent neoconservatives as James Woolsey and Richard Perle set up the neocon Henry Jackson Society.
Looking at this background, Senator Henry Jackson must have played a key role in founding the "neocon establishment", right? Well, before jumping to that conclusion, let's search ISGP's index of NGOs for any other former ties of Senator Jackson. potential ties. Again, it doesn't take long to find that Senator Jackson also was involved in plenty of major liberal-globalist projects of the Rockefeller-kind:
- In 1971, together with Nelson Rockefeller, a co-founder of the America-Israel Friendship League (AIFL). Certainly in the post-9/11 era, this would end up being a peculiar group. On the one hand, directors of the AIFL in that period included long-time respective ADL and CPMAJO chiefs Abraham Foxman and Malcolm Hoenlein, as well as other Jewish globalist and Israel Lobby heavyweights, including multiple billionaires: Kenneth Bialkin, Mortimer Zuckerman, Ronald Lauder, Michael Steinhardt and Michael Ovitz. On the other hand, liberal-globalist elites as Henry Kissinger, George Shultz, former Kissinger Associates president Lawrence Eagleburger, former Rockefeller Foundation trustee Vernon Jordan, who brought Bill Clinton into the CFR, Bilderberg and the Trilateral Commission before even announcing his presidential campaign; all were on the advisory board of this group. With that, the AIFL grew to become a key liaison NGO for Eastern Establishment ties with the Zionists, which has seldom been overly friendly.
- Along with countless elite senators, a founding advisory board member in 1977 of the Alliance to Save Energy under advisory board chairman Henry Kissinger. Founding directors of the group included Laurance Rockefeller, David Rockefeller and two dozen of their elite CFR-tied friends.
- Alongside Nelson Rockefeller, Rockefeller mentor John McCloy and countless other elites, anno 1977 a honorary director of the Atlantic Council. Kissinger had just become a director and continued to be one into the 2020s.
The peculiar situation at the office of Senator Henry Jackson, together with all of Senator Jackson's globalist ties, occurred in the same period that a number of CIA-linked "neocon" foundations began building the "neocon" movement - except that, once again, at least half of these foundations also contained liberal Eastern Establishment elites on their board. The foundations in question were the:
- Olin Foundation
- H. Smith Richardson Foundation
- Scaife foundations
- Bradley Foundation
- Coors Foundation
- Achelis and Bodman Foundation
To illustrate, what was John J. McCloy, a Pilgrim, CFR chair, Ford Foundation and Rockefeller Foundation chair and the mentor of David Rockefeller at both the CFR and Chase Manhattan Bank, doing on the board of the Olin Foundation from the late 1970s until his death in 1989? That's just where the Eastern Establishment ties of the birth of the neocon movement start. John M. Olin was a long-time member of the Pilgrims from the 1960s on. Richard Mellon Scaife, a cousin of Pilgrims as Andrew and Paul Mellon, was on the advisory board of CSIS, a group dominated by Kissinger and Brzezinski in particular. As has been done in the Pilgrims Society article, we could go on.
Going back to Senator Henry Jackson's clique of Perle, Luttwak, Wolfowitz, Abrams, Feith and Gaffney, we can also add Richard Pipes, who used to be on the board of the CIA- and Pentagon-dominated American Security Council and served as an advisor to senator in the 1970s. Gaffney founded the Center for Security Policy, the unofficial neocon successor of the American Security Council. Another, Luttwak, worked at the prestigious CSIS think tank for several decades. In this capacity he has been a permanent consultant to various special operations branches of the Pentagon, the national security council, the State Department, and, unofficially, the CIA covert operations clique surrounding Ted Shackley. Still, Gaffney, Pipes, Luttwak, and fellow-neocon Joshua Muravchik, never held any official government positions. They somehow made a name for themselves as outside consultants.
True, apart from Perle, a few other neocons also held official positions in the U.S. government. William Kristol, the famous founder of the Project for the New American Century (PNAC), was chief of staff to vice president Dan Quayle in the administration of George H. W. Bush. Dov Zakheim was another mid-level Pentagon employee under Reagan who was reappointed during the administration of George W. Bush, in his case as under secretary of defense (comptroller). That's about it. All this stands in stark contrast to the more than 30 NGOs and Pentagon advisory groups Zakheim has been involved in until this point, quite often alongside former CIA director James Woolsey. Kristol held about 20 such positions. His father, Irving Kristol, infamously co-founded Encounter magazine for the CIA.
A latter day find of this author is (Jewish) David J. Kramer. Once again it quickly becomes clear this person does not represent any kind of separate "neocon establishment". Kramer has an early history at CSIS, the Carnegie Endowment and then as a senior fellow at PNAC. He joined the CFR in 1998. From 2000 to 2009 he held various senior positions in the State Deparment. Among his positions was as special advisor to under secretary of state for global affairs Paula Dobriansky, a major hawkish superclass member. From 2005 to 2008 he was deputy assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian affairs. During the final year of the Bush administration in 2008-2009, he was employed as assistant secretary of state for democracy, human rights, and labor.
After his government service, Kramer disappeared back into the think tank world, first at the Rockefeller-funded German Marshall Fund, and then, from 2010, as executive director of the global "parallel CIA" group Freedom House. Through these NGOs, as well as the international advisory council of the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA), which also included top superclass members Zbigniew Brzezinski, Madeleine Albright and Carl Bildt, he was able to continue to exercise political influence in eastern Europe.
Apart from being handed the position of executive director of the George W. Bush Institute, in 2016 Kramer was also appointed executive director of the McCain Institute for International Leadership. Through this position, Kramer was handed the Steele Dossier about Donald Trump. Officially meant to only be seen by Senator McCain, Kramer, supposedly at his own initiative, leaked the report to "liberal CIA" media outlet Buzzfeed 53, causing months of controversy about the only anti-immigration candidate (in theory) with nothing of substance.
Neocons as CIA-Mossad liaisons
If anything, the vast majority of neocons, if not all of them, appear to be assets of the CIA and-or Mossad and certainly to be used as liaisons to the Israeli government. As has been discussed by ISGP, the CIA, mainly through the private club of men as Richard Helms, Ted Shackley, Frank Carlucci and George H. W. Bush, has maintained relations with the Vatican-Paneuropa network (see Le Cercle Pinay), the Saudis (Safari Club), and, seemingly through the neocons, Israel. Just one of the latter-day examples this author ran across is Edward Luttwak, an expert on death squads and coups, who can be tied to Giancarlo Elia Valori through Italintesa and an Aspen Institute-sponsored meeting in Italy. 54 Valori used to be a Cercle member 55 and one of the key players in the P2 Lodge, part of the fascist-terrorist "Strategy of Tension" campaign in Italy. To this day he has top-level friends in the United States and the Israel lobby, and is still suspected to be a major behind-the-scenes power player.
Almost certainly Valori was well-acquainted with Michael Ledeen, another fascist Zionist extremist, at the time of Italy's false flag bombings, the Banco Ambrosiano scandal and the subsequent P2 affair. Ledeen was operating in Italy as a SISMI military intelligence "risk consultant". He primarily worked with controversial SISMI asset Francesco Pazienza, with P2 member General Giuseppe Santovito being the head of SISMI at the time. Both Pazienza and Santovito were close associates of Valori, who in more recent decades turned from a Vatican insider to being one of the closest friends of radical Zionism. 56
Of course, Ledeen also never held any official government position. He's just an academic and journalist who shows up wherever some kind of conspiracy is suspected, whether it's an assassination attempt on the pope, Iran Contra, or the Iraq invasion. Unsurprisingly, Ledeen has been close to CIA covert operation veterans as William Colby and especially Ted Shackley for many decades.
Senator Jackson himself, apart from his globalist ties, was closely linked to this same CIA group. In 1973 he worked closely with top CIA officers Ted Shackley, William Colby and James Schlesinger in undermining the Church Committee's inquiries into Richard Helms' illegal CIA projects: MK-ULTRA, the Kennedy assassination, coups, Mockingbird, etc. 57 Jackson is also known to have been a darling of the American Security Council and to have visited the secretive Cercle group of Shackley, although it was mainly Perle or an assistant of his, Pat Balestreri, who showed up as a Pentagon liaison to Le Cercle in the 1980s. Wolfowitz visited Le Cercle in the early 1990s.
How exactly did this network come about? We don't really know the details, but Perle, as well as Wolfowitz, was sent to Jackson's office by Albert Wohlstetter, one of the godfathers of neoconservatism who was a veteran of the RAND Corporation and various national security think tanks, all linked to the Pentagon and the CIA.
Interestingly, Richard Perle is actually not the most connected neocon of all. Ranked far above him on the neoconservative ladder is the ultraconnected CIA spook James Woolsey, the number 2 in ISGP's Superclass Index, right behind Henry Kissinger. Indeed, Woolsey has been involved in more think tanks and advisory bodies than a George Shultz, Zbigniew Brzezinski, or David Rockefeller. Since 9/11, Woolsey has played a role in almost every think tank and action group set up by the neocons, often alongside Richard Perle and Dov Zakheim. Woolsey, however, has always been intricately connected to the core of the liberal-globalist establishment, best illustrated by his support for anti-global warming measures, Yale and Rhodes Scholarship background (Senators of his 1993 CIA senate confirmation hearing were joking about Rhodes scholars taking over the administration and being so deeply involved in intelligence), membership in the CFR since 1975, directorship of the Atlantic Council since 1981, positions at the Smithsonian, and vice chairmanship of the CSIS think tank by 1988 58, where for more than a decade he shared boards with Henry Kissinger, Maurice Greenberg, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Claiborne Pell (closest of friends with the Liechtenstein family), top European Union globalist and honorary Bilderberg chair Etienne Davignon and Baron Edmond de Rothschild. 59 The neocon Edward Luttwak was equally active at CSIS.
At the same time Woolsey was the ultimate arms industry insider--probably for the CIA--as a lawyer and director of corporations as British Aerospace, DynCorp, Martin Marietta, McDonnell Douglas, Litton Industries, Fairchild Industries, Rockwell, SAIC, the Titan Corporation, United Technologies, General Dynamics and also the Carlyle Group. 60 In 1987 and 1988 Woolsey was a member of the Scientific Advisory Group of the Joint Strategic Targetting and Planning Staff at Offutt Air Force Base. Worryingly, this is where part of the Franklin child abuse affair supposedly took place, with Woolsey and his wife, a national security behavioral psychologist, being rather closely linked to the affair. 61
Woolsey's first association with the neoconservatives, as far as ISGP can figure things out, appears to have been at the Executive Panel of the Chief of Naval Operations when he joined it in 1980. Archneocon Albert Wohlstetter, a RAND scientist and Pentagon consultant who had sent Perle and Wolfowitz to Senator Jackson's office, served on the Executive Panel from 1971 until his death in 1997. Woolsey actually beat him in terms of longest-serving member, still being a member today.
In 1988 Woolsey's neocon ties were solidified when he joined the board of the Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs (JINSA) 62, co-founded a decade earlier by Senator Henry Jackson (there he is again) and Iran-Contra veteran Michael Ledeen 63, who, just as Jackson, was close to CIA officers Ted Shackley, of Le Cercle, and Ray Cline, a co-chair of the American Security Council and the U.S. Global Strategy Council. There's every indication that back in the 1970s and early 1980s Ledeen was a key U.S. liaison to the fascist P2 Lodge for Shackley at the CIA and Alexander Haig (Pilgrims and Kissinger protege) at the State Department. 64 Richard Perle, Paul Wolfowitz (co-chair), Douglas Feith (vice-chair), and even Morris Amitay, AIPAC's executive director, could all be found at JINSA no later than the early 1990s. 65 Ledeen, Perle, and Woolsey stayed on the board of JINSA until early 2012 when a dispute arose with a more moderate lead financier of JINSA and all three prominently resigned. 66 Clearly the three men had grown very close over the decades.
Woolsey, Ledeen and also Perle, through his association with Le Cercle, clearly all can be considered CIA assets. We could argue that Woolsey likely already was CIA when he established Yale Citizens for Eugene McCarthy for President in 1967, a curious anti-Vietnam War candidate apparently in the business of educating hippies to cut their hair and dress properly. In other words, Woolsey's 1993 appointment as CIA director doesn't appear to have been a coincidence and as a lifelong CIA officer, it's also questionable that Woolsey's appointment to the board of JINSA and dozens of later neocon outfits has been a coincidence.
Personally, this author suspects Woolsey was picked by the private CIA network set up by Richard Helms and Ted Shackley, and in later decades still counted George H. W. Bush and Frank Carlucci among its ranking members, as the network's chief liaison to the Israel lobby. If anybody is managing the neoconservative movement from behind the scenes, at least from the U.S. side, it would be Woolsey. Woolsey has definitely been close to this CIA group, as his co-chairmanship of the Association of Former Intelligence Officers and the OSS Society, both with George H. W. Bush, demonstrates. Other former CIA officers as James Schlesinger, Frank Carlucci, Richard Helms have also been involved with these groups. Ted Shackley was a key player in the AFIO until his death in 2002. Clearly all these men knew each other very well, but Woolsey's old CIA ties remain obscure. His Pentagon, neocon and liberal establishment ties are very clear, however.
Woolsey and Cheney may well all have been assigned to manage the "neocon radicals", as Cheney was a board member of JINSA from 1993 to 1999. Cheney and Woolsey, who reportedly are close, also know each other from the board of the Jamestown Foundation - where Donald Rumsfeld was to be found as well - and the Center for Security Policy. Both men appear to be deep insiders to the United States' most illegal black programs, as the men's association with the Russian firm Far West alone seems to indicate. 67 When it comes to any major black program the Pentagon might be running, it's hard to imagine Woolsey not being aware of it to some degree - as a lot of Unacknowledged Special Access Programs (USAPs) seem to be hidden in private industry. On top of that, Woolsey has served on numerous low profile Pentagon committees. Who the heck has ever heard of the Outer Continental Shelf Policy Committee (OCSPC), the Deterrence Concepts Advisory Group (DCAG), the Disruptive Technology Committee, the Future of Navy Force Structure (FNFS), or the Navy Personnel Policy (NPP)? Not a lot of people, but Woolsey served on all of them.
- *) April 14, 2003, The Guardian (Ford and Rockefeller Fdn.-financed), 'The rise of the Washington 'neo-cons''. Cites articles from all the newspapers mentioned except the N.Y. Times and L.A. Times.
*) Dec. 17, 2006, New York Times, 'Letter From New York: Should neocons take the fall for Iraq? - Americas - International Herald Tribune'; March 15 2008, New York Times, 'Getting Out of the Mess the Neocons Made'. Etc.
*) June 10, 2004, Los Angeles Times, 'A Tough Time for 'Neocons'; April 2, 2015, Los Angeles Times, 'Op-Ed: The neocons: They're back, and on Iran, they're uncompromising as ever'. Etc.
- 2017, Peter Dale Scott, 'The American Deep State - Updated Version', pp. 82-84, as an example.
- April 5, 2023, Alex Jones' Infowars.com, 'RFK Jr: 'The Neocon Projects' in Iraq and Ukraine...' (hour-long interview).
- Feb. 26, 2023, Infowars, 'Neocon Condoleezza Rice Says Biden 'A Little Bit Behind' on His Ukraine Policy But Going 'In Right Direction''.
- June 10, 2004, Los Angeles Times, 'A Tough Time for 'Neocons''.
- March 2, 2007, Democracy Now!, 'Gen. Wesley Clark Weighs Presidential Bid' (hour-long interview).
- Oct. 3, 2007, Wesley Clark speech to the Commonwealth Club, YouTube upload by 'FORA.tv', 'Wes Clark - America's Foreign Policy "Coup"'.
- Nov. 30, 2003, CNN Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer, 'Interview With Wesley Clark...'.
- stopiranwar.com/?page_id=9 (accessed: Feb. 28, 2007): "About Us. About Wes Clark."
- stopiranwar.com/?page_id=3 (accessed: Feb. 28, 2007; Feb. 26, 2007 post).
- March 2, 2007, Democracy Now!, 'Gen. Wesley Clark Weighs Presidential Bid' (hour-long interview).
- Sep. 30, 2003, Wayne Madson or Counterpunch, 'Wesley Clark for President? Another Neocon Con Job'.
- Oct. 3, 2007, Wesley Clark speech to the Commonwealth Club, YouTube upload by 'FORA.tv', 'Wes Clark - America's Foreign Policy "Coup"'.
- Oct. 3, 2007, Wesley Clark speech to the Commonwealth Club, YouTube upload by 'FORA.tv', 'Wes Clark - America's Foreign Policy "Coup"': "I went to see Don Rumsfeld [after 9/11]. I worked for him as a White House fellow in the 1970s."
- 1989, CSIS, trustees and advisory board (PDF): "CSIS Board of Trustees: ... Vice Chairmen: Maurice R, Greenberg... Members: ... Zbigniew Brzeinski ... Henry A. Kissinger ... Paul A. Volcker... Advisory Board, August 2, 1989: Chairman: *Paul A. Volcker... Cochairman: * Sam Nunn... Vice Chairmen: ... *R. James Woolsey... Members: ... Viscount Etienne Davignon... Baron Edmond de Rothschild... Mortimer B. Zuckerman... *steering committee."
*) csis.org/html/csislead.html (accessed: Oct. 18, 2000; first webarchive with Gen. Wesley Clark): "Board of Trustees: Chairman: Sam Nunn ... Zbigniew Brzezinski ... Henry A. Kissinger ... [Kissinger protege] Brent Scowcroft ... R. James Woolsey... The Advisory Board [is] cochaired by Zbigniew Brzezinski and Carla Hills... Counselors: ... Zbigniew Brzezinski [and] Henry Kissinger. Sam Nunn. ... Distinguished Senior Advisers: Wesley Clark..."
- crisisweb.org/about/board.cfm (accessed: Feb. 5, 2001; July 2000 board, the first one with Clark; Zuckerman added to the July 2000 board in retrospect, so may have joined last-minute for that month): "George Soros ... Wesley Clark ... Jacques Delors ... HRH El-Hassan bin Talal ... Shimon Peres ... Thorvald Stoltenberg ... Grigory Yavlinsky... Martti Ahtisaari, Chairman. ... Stephen Solarz, Vice-Chair, ICG. ... Morton Abramowitz... Mortimer Zuckerman..."
- crisisgroup.org/who-we-are/board (accessed: Jan. 15, 2018; Clark would disappear later this year): "Co-chair: Lord (Mark) Malloch-Brown* ... George Soros ... Alexander Soros ... Carl Bildt ... Wesley Clark ... Wolfgang Ischinger ... Wim Kok ... Andrey Kortunov ... Javier Solana ... Lawrence H. Summers..."
- crisisweb.org/about/board.cfm (accessed: Oct. 16, 2002; July 2002 board, the first one with Zbigniew Brzezinski): "George Soros ... Wesley Clark ... Carla Hills ... Zbigniew Brzezinski [July 2002-2010, advisor anno 2013] ... Mikhail Khodorkovsky [disappeared after his arrest by Putin in Russia in 2003] ... [Etc.]"
- ncafp.org/principals/index.htm (accessed: Aug. 13, 2001; the site was reorganized from late March 2001 to July 2001; Clark did not appear earlier.): "Officers: Honorable George F. Kennan, Honorary Chairman. ... Trustees: ... *Kenneth J. Bialkin, Esq. General Wesley K. Clark... Anthony Drexel Duke... *Honorable Maxwell Rabb... Board of advisors: ... Honorable Jeane J. Kirkpatrick ... Professor Richard Pipes ... Nancy Soderberg..."
- May 18, 2009, Zocalo Public Square, 'Richard N. Haass, "When Should the U.S. Go to War?"'.
- May/June 2009, Zbigniew Brzezinski for the CFR's Foreign Affairs, 'A Tale of Two Wars'.
- May 18, 2009, Zocalo Public Square, 'Richard N. Haass, "When Should the U.S. Go to War?"'.
- May 18, 2009, Zocalo Public Square, 'Richard N. Haass, "When Should the U.S. Go to War?"'.
- Aug. 19, 2002, abc.net.au, 'Caution urged on Iraq': "LEIGH SALES: It's well known in Washington that two of the strongest advocates of military action against Saddam Hussein are Richard Perle, Chairman of the Defence Policy Board, and Paul Wolfowitz, the Deputy Secretary of Defence. Lawrence Eagleburger is accusing the two of virtually misleading the President.
LAWRENCE EAGLEBURGER: I think they're devious. [They] have been for years, committed to getting rid of Saddam Hussein because they think we should have done it the first time around. And secondly, I think they have convinced themselves that it can be done on the cheap by using these rebels... I am scared to death that they are going to convince the President ... and we'll find ourselves in the middle of a swamp because we didn't plan to do it in the right way. ... We don't have the allies on our side. ...
LEIGH SALES: Mr Eagleburger's cautious position is backed by ... Henry Kissinger, and Brent Scowcroft..."
- Sep. 12, 2001, ABC News, Lawrence Eagleburger interviewed by Peter Jennings.
- May/June 2009, Zbigniew Brzezinski for the CFR's Foreign Affairs, 'A Tale of Two Wars'.
- Aug. 19, 2002, abc.net.au, 'Caution urged on Iraq'.
- Feb.-Mar. 2004, Library of Congress Information Bulletin, The Case for War in Iraq: George Shultz Speaks at the Library. loc.gov/loc/lcib/0402-3/shultz.html (accessed: Sep. 6, 2023).
July 30, 2006, Hoover.org, 'George Shultz, Father of the Bush Doctrine'.
- Sep. 12, 2001, ABC News, James Woolsey interviewed by Peter Jennings.
- Jan. 8, 2002, Alexander Haig interview, Newsmax, 'Haig: Target Syria Next, Not Iraq'; June 3, 2004, Joint Military Intelligence College conference, speech of Alexander Haig'.
- May/June 2009, Zbigniew Brzezinski for the CFR's Foreign Affairs, 'A Tale of Two Wars'.
- Sep. 18, 2009, Daily Beast, 'How Obama Flubbed His Missile Message', interview with Zbigniew Brzezinski.
- Youtube clip from C-Span, 'Dick Cheney ex-director of CFR talks to David Rockefeller', uploaded: November 30, 2006. youtube.com/watch?v=BbnpN07J_zg (accessed: Sep. 3, 2023). The clip was included in: 2004, John Birch Society, 'The Free Trade Area of The Americas.'.
- Feb. 15, 2002, C-Span Live from a CFR meeting that opened the CFR's Geoeconomic Center, David Rockefeller to speaker Dick Cheney
- See Condoleezza Rice's biography in ISGP's Managed Democracy for details and sources..
- Jan. 7, 2006, Counterpunch, 'AIPAC on Trial'.
- *) Over the years I have found nothing what Gene Wheaton said to be incorrect. On the contrary, over time everything he says seems to make perfect sense. Doesn't mean he doesn't have any ulterior motives, but his information seems to be reliable.
*) January 4, 2002, Gene Wheaton, an intelligence insider and whistleblower since Iran-Contra, during an interview of Matt Ehling on Declassified Radio. For lengthy quote, see ISGP's Cercle article.
- * Men working under deputy defense secretary Frank Carlucci all visited Ted Shackley's Cercle group.
*) Gene Wheaton again (January 4, 2002, to Matt Ehling on Declassified Radio): "Ted Shackley and Vernon Walters and Frank Carlucci and Ving West and a group of these guys used to have park-bench meetings in the late 70s in McClean, Virginia so nobody could overhear their conversations. They basically said, "With our expertise at placing dictators in power," I’m almost quoting verbatim one of their comments, "why don’t we treat the United States like the world’s biggest banana republic and take it over?" And the first thing they had to do was to get their man in the White House, and that was George Bush."
*) 2005, Joseph J. Trento, Prelude to Terror, pp. 124-125: "Turner's hiring of Frank Carlucci to replace Hank Knoche was manipulated by Shackley and Bush," William Corson said.3 Carlucci was close to Donald Rumsfeld, who had engineered Bush's appointment by President Ford. Carlucci also had total loyalty to General Richard Secord... and Erich von Marbod. ... According to Shirley Brill, Carlucci and Shackley were also very close friends. Shackley and Clines knew Carlucci from the Chile operations. ... Shackley, according to Soghanalian, had later worked with Calucci in setting up Portugal as a major arms transshipping point for the Middle East. "They played Turner like a violin to get Carlucci the job," Shirley Brill said. ... Weisz told him that "George Bush and James Angleton had been instrumental in putting Weisz where he was.""
*) 2005, Joseph Trento, 'Prelude to Terror', p. 283: "In the early 1980s, George Bush helped Shackley get established in Kuwait and in the oil business as a consultant. Shackley started Theodore Shackley and Associates and several other companies, which he used as a cover for his work for Bush. For the first time in his life, he was making large amounts of money. … He even told friends that he still had hopes of becoming DCI someday in a future Bush administration. The admiration of Israel by the neocons was shared by Ted Shackley."
*) 2001, Joseph Trento, 'The Secret History of the CIA', pp. 410, 426: "Colby understood - as did Kissinger and Ted Shackley... - that the Israeli account was a large source of Angleton's power. For one thing, it had given them access to five American presidents. ...
For the government of Israel, the loss of James Angleton was a major blow, but one for which it was prepared. The Israelis had other friends in the U.S. intelligence community. Colby and Kissinger's changes in the CIA included cutbacks in Clandestine Services, as a result of which many of the CIA's most experienced officers were out of work and embittered. ...
Meanwhile, Shackley made the Israeli account his own. He kept the relationship personal, as Angleton had done. According to Crowley and other Agency officials, Shackley told no one in the chain of command anything he was doing with respect to Israel. ...
[Shackley] introduced George Bush to many of his old Cuban friends in Miami. A decade earlier, they had been the heart of the CIA's anti-Castro effort. Now, they were a powerful political force Bush could use in his quest to fulfill political ambitions that went beyond the CIA."
*) George H. W. Bush was a senior counselor of the Carlyle Group 1993-2003, under the chairmanship during all this time of Frank Carlucci.
*) 2002, Volume XXV, Number 1 and 2, AFIO magazine Periscope: "2001 donors [life members]: ... Inman, Bobby R. ... Gittinger, John W. ... Hugel, Max ... Jenkins, Carl E. ... Schlesinger, James R. ... Shackley, Theodore ... Spencer, Jr. Thomas R. ... Wannall, W. Raymond ... Webster, William H. ... Wedemeyer, Albert D. ... 26 Anonymous Donors... Special volunteers of time & talent: ... Shackley, Ted; Spencer, Jr., Thomas R. ... New Member Sponsors for 2001: ... Angleton, James ... Critchfield, James; Critchfield, Lois ... Spencer, Thomas ... Corporate partners 2001: Du Pont Investment Bankers, Hill & Associates, Institute of World Politics, ... Lockheed Martin (M&DS), ... Motorola, ... SAIC, ... TRW. ... Current Members of the AFIO Board of Directors: Honorary Board of Directors: Co-Chairmen: Hon. George H. W. Bush; Hon. Gerald R. Ford; Mr. John Barron; Hon. Shirley Temple Black; Hon. Frank C. Carlucci; Dr. Ruth M. Davis; Adm. Bobby R. Inman, USN (Ret); Professor Ernest R. May; Mr. John Anson Smith; Hon. William H. Webster; Hon. R. James Woolsey. ... Board Members: ... Mr. Theodore G. Shackley; Thomas R. Spencer Jr., Esq. ... Present Board Members Re-elected for Another Term in 2002: Ted Shackley (Ret)... Officers: President: Mr. S. Eugene Poteat [confirmed Gulf of Tonkin incident was used by White House as a false flag event.]"
- Oct. 15, 2002, Los Angeles Times, 'Perle's Passion Is Served': "Jackson had gathered a brain trust that included Perle, Wolfowitz, Frank Gaffney ... and Charles Horner, now at the Hudson Institute."
- 2008, Justin Vaisse (adjunct professor Sciences Po 1999-2007, SAIS at Johns Hopkins University 2007-2013; senior fellow in foreign policy at the Brookings Institution around 2007-2013; director of Policy Planning at the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs 2013-2019), 'Neoconservatism: The Biography of a Movement', p. 119: "In 1963 [Perle] attended the London School of Economics (where one of his classmates was Edward Luttwak…) … Wohlstetter, Nitze and Acheson wanted to help Jackson defeat Symington and were in need of research assistance. In addition to Perle, they hired… Paul Wolfowitz, the son of celebrated mathematician Jacob Wolfowitz, with whom Wohlstetter himself had studied. (Two other researchers would later be added to the staff: Peter Wilson and Edward Luttwak.)"
- Ibid. And: Nov. 11, 1985, Los Angeles Times, 'Perle Wages Behind-the-Scenes Crusade Against Kremlin : Soviets' Mortal Foe Lurks at Pentagon': "Perle interrupted his studies at USC to spend the 1962-63 academic year at the London School of Economics. His roommate was Edward N. Luttwak..."
- Dec. 6, 2002, The Guardian, 'Democrat hawk whose ghost guides Bush: Scoop Jackson's body is 20 years in the grave but his spirit goes marching on': "Paul Wolfowitz and Doug Feith ... and Richard Perle ... are all former Democrats who worked for Jackson in the 70s, and looked on him as their mentor."
- Ibid.: "This week President Bush put another Jackson protege, Elliott Abrams, in charge of White House policy in the Middle East."
- Dec. 20, 2018, New York Post, 'Ex-official with ties to McCain gave BuzzFeed access to Steele dossier: court filing': "A BuzzFeed reporter got the dossier ... during a meeting with David Kramer, a McCain Institute fellow and former deputy assistant secretary of state, according to the court document."
- *) June 1, 2009, Senza Soste (Livorno, Italy), 'Giancarlo Valori, il nuovo capo della P2 ricevuto in pompamagna a Livorno' ('Giancarlo Valori, the new head of the P2, received in grand style in Livorno'): "The shareholders' meeting of Italintesa SpA awarded him the honorary presidency of the company. Among the shareholders are the American political scientist Edward Luttwak, a former consultant of Italintesa and regular columnist in the papers of the Gruppo Monti and Sicilian Gazzetta del Sud. Like Valori, Luttwak has a contiguous past involving the Atlantic powers that is more or less hidden."
*) September 16, 2008, Farnesina: Ministero degli Affari Esteri e della Cooperazione Internazionale, 'Press release detail': "At 9:15 tomorrow morning Minister for Foreign Affairs Franco Frattini will open the sessions of the conference "Italy, Europe and Israel: how to build a privileged partnership" arranged by the Aspen Institute and held in the International Conference Room of the foreign ministry in Rome. ... In addition to Israeli Minister of Welfare Isaac Herzog, who will also hold a meeting with Minister Frattini, other participants are to include ... Minister for Economic and Financial Affairs Tremonti and former Minister for Foreign Affairs Massimo D'Alema, business world such as Carlo De Benedetti [protege of the Agnellis], Piero Gnudi, Giancarlo Elia Valori, and journalism, including Renato Mannheimer, Edward Luttwak, Arrigo Levi, as well as major representatives of the Jewish community such as Chief Rabbi Di Segni and President of the Union of Italian Jewish Communities Gattegna." Luttwak and Valori (Le Cercle, P2, and major behind-the-scenes player in Italy) both have also been involved in the company Italintesa.
- 2014, Johannes Grossmann, 'Die Internationale der Konservativen. Transnationale Elitenzirkel und private Außenpolitik in Westeuropa seit 1945', p. 544: "Aus Italien stiessen in den 1980er Jahren lediglich der fruhere Generalkommandant der Carabinieri, Umberto Cappuzzo, und der evenfalls in Vaduzer Institut engagierte Giancarlo Valori zum Cercle"
- June 1, 2009, Senza Soste (Livorno, Italy), 'Giancarlo Valori, il nuovo capo della P2 ricevuto in pompamagna a Livorno' ('Giancarlo Valori, the new head of the P2, received in grand style in Livorno'): "Valori enrolled in the P2 (card 283) and with Licio Gelli he is one of the instigators of the reactionary right in the period of the new Argentine president Peron, in which they create the conditions for the military dictatorship of 1976-1983 [of Videla and the P2's Admiral Emilio Eduardo Massera]. But Gelli, on the pretext of his frequent Vatican visits, expels Valori from the P2, to successfully become the main reference point for politicians in Buenos Aires. Valori doesn't mind that much and continues his frequent visits to the intelligence community and the underbelly of politics. He knows [SISMI head] General [Giuseppe] Santovito, also a P2 member; [P2 member] Mino Pecorelli, [the Banco Ambrosiano and Bologno bombing-linked] Francesco Pazienza and other protagonists of the conspiracies in those years. Because these ties are certainly not ordinary among Italian managers and entrepreneurs, Valori is repeatedly called to testify in key investigations of the early 80s, those of the Rome prosecutors into the P2, of Judge Carlo Palermo into arms trafficking, of Rosario Priore's report on his relations with the Arab countries, in the context of the investigation into the massacre of Ustica. ... In 1981, when the P2 lists are discovered, Giancarlo Elia Valori is the only one who has been "expelled", so the investigation only touches him marginally. It is said that Tina Anselmi, president of the Parliamentary Commission of Inquiry [into the P2 Lodge], absolutely doesn't want to talk about him: "I have nothing to say about that gentleman." ... Valori likes to present himself as a professor of international politics and his views are similar to those of the far right Zionists. And he is one of the sponsors of the grotesque Islamic repentent Magdi Allam, and a theorist of a clash of civilizations against Islam. In the preface of a book of Allam he writes: "It is the defense of Israel that is the new platform of European and US grand strategy... The book of Magdi Allam is a good start for this project." He is firmly opposed to the idea of a Palestinian state, indeed, the very idea of Palestinian people: "We need to change the register: Palestine, which does not exist as a geopolitical entity, is not the solution, but the problem. Speaking of the Palestinian people … means accepting their independence, at least in semantics." Valori proposes the attribution to Israel of most of the occupied territories, while the Gaza Strip and the West Bank should be assigned respectively to Egypt and Jordan."
- 1976, Pike Report, pp. 112-113: "Upon hearing testimony from Helms in February 1973, Senator Church's Multinational Corporations Subcommittee informed the CIA on 21 February 1973 that it had found “significant discrepancies” between Helms’s testimony and data ITT had supplied. On that same day, Theodore Shackley (Chief, Western Hemisphere Division, DP) took the first step to limit damage to the Agency. He recommended to DCI Schlesinger that the Agency should work [through Senators Stennis or Symington who "could be persuaded" to agree to a "controlled appearance" for the DCI before the Multinational Corporations Subcommitte] … Two days later, on 23 February 1973, Agency officers began quiet efforts with the help of Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson, a close friend of the CIA, to blunt Senator Church's scrutiny of CIA, Chile, and Richard Helms. Jackson offered his protective assistance in a remarkable backstage meeting he had with Ted Shackley and CIA Congressional liaison chief John Maury the next day. … [Jackson made several suggestions on how to protect the CIA, as written down by Shackley] … Jackson pledged to work with CIA "to see that we got this protection." Shackley noted that Senator Jackson, who had been "extremely helpful," believed that it was "essential" to prevent the establishing of any procedure that could call upon CIA to testify before a wide variety of Congressional committees. Following that meeting, Shackley and Maury at once briefed Colby, who was then CIA's Executive Director, and Tom Keramessines, the DDP. DCI Schlesinger then asked Senator Jackson to set the wheels in motion for Senator McClellan to call a special meeting of his Oversight Committee. Three weeks later, on 13 March, CIA’s senatorial friends arranged to shield the Agency from unwanted scrutiny… McClellan, Symington, Jackson, John Pastore (D-RI), Strom Thurmond (R-SC, and Roman Hruska R-NE). Colby, Shackley, and Maury accompanied DCI Schlesinger." p. 173: "[CIA legal counsel Mitchell] Rogovin … accused Pike's staff of having stolen a copy of the [Ted Shackley] memorandum outlining the sensitive meeting of CIA officers with Senator "Scoop" Jackson in May 1973…"
- S. Hrg. 103-296. Hearing before the Select Committee on Intelligence of the United States, nomination of R. James Woolsey to be director of Central Intelligence, Tuesday, February 2, and Wednesday, February 3, 1993, p. 32: "Member, Smithsonian Associates, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1974-Present. ... Friends of the National Zoo, National Zoological Park, Member, 1975-Present. ... Regent, Smithsonian Institution, 1990-Present. ... The Atlantic Council of the United States, Director, 1992-Present, 1981-1989. ... Center for Strategic & International Studies, Member, Board of Trustees, 1988-1989 & 1991-Present. ... Council on Foreign Relations, Member, 1975-Present. ... Senator CHAFEE. Mr. Chairman, I would also like to add that we have an extraordinary array of Rhodes Scholars here today. It seems to be a Mafia that has suddenly taken over the Administration. And as- I watched Senator Lugar praise Mr. Woolsey, I thought there was a connection there. Senator JOHNSTON. It's called the "Old Boy Network." Senator CHAFEE. That's right. I don't know what the secret, grip is, but -- [General laughter.] ... Senator KERREY of Nebraska. Thank you, Mr. Chairman. - Ambassador Woolsey, you may have noted earlier that -I am not a Rhodes Scholar, and in fact many people in Nebraska-wonder how it is possible for me to serve on any Committee called the Intelligence Committee. [General laughter.] ... Chairman DECONCINI: ... [Woolsey's] academic and professional credentials are impeccable. A graduate of Stanford, where he became a Rhodes scholar, with a graduate degree from Oxford and a law degree from Yale Law School"
- August 2, 1989, CSIS board document. (PDF)
- S. Hrg. 103-296. Hearing before the Select Committee on Intelligence of the United States, nomination of R. James Woolsey to be director of Central Intelligence, Tuesday, February 2, and Wednesday, February 3, 1993, p. 32: "Clients Billed More than $500 Worth of My Services Durina Past 5 Years: - Aerospace Corporation - Bell Communications Research, - Bolt, Baranek & Newman - The Carlyle Group - Center for Strategic & International Studies - Center for Naval Analysis - Clean Sites - Cornell University - DynCorp.- - Fairchild Industries. - . General Dynamics - Insilco - Litton Industries - Martin Marietta Corporation - McDonnell Douglas Corporation - M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory - NationalAcademy of Sciences - National Security-Council - Newmont - Penn -Central Corporation - Plessey, - Rockwell -International Corporation - SAIC - Shack & Kimball - Southern Steamship Ltd. - Thiokol - Thomson, CSF - The Titan Corporation - United Technologies Corporation - Young & Rubicam." Also lists directorships in some of these corporations.
- *) S. Hrg. 103-296. Hearing before the Select Committee on Intelligence of the United States, nomination of R. James Woolsey to be director of Central Intelligence, Tuesday, February 2, and Wednesday, February 3, 1993: "Includes also: "Joint Strategic Targetting and Planning Staff, Scientific Advisory Group, Offutt AFB, Nebraska, 68113, advisor, 1987-1988.""
*) Suzanne Woolsey: Wife of James Woolsey. BA Stanford psychology. Doctorate in Social and Clinical Psychology from Harvard. Research program director at the Rockefeller-funded Urban Institute 1975-1977, with trustees over the years as Katharine Graham, Cyrus Vance, John Deutch, Warren Buffett (close to Larry King of Franklin Affair and Offutt - see ISGP's 9/11 article for details), Robert McNamara, Carla Hills, Henry G. Cisneros and Vernon Jordan (Lazard). Partner of Coopers & Lybrand 1980-1989. Married to James Woolsey around 1970. 1977, Government Research Corporation, National Journal, p. 256: "[Suzanne Woolsey] had been on the staff of the Urban Institute for two years..." Associate director U.S. Office of Management and Budget 1977-1980. Executive director of the Commission on Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education at the National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council 1989-1993. Chief Operating Officer of the NAS/NRC 1993-2000. Chief communications officer NAS/NRC 2001-2003.
- S. Hrg. 103-296. Hearing before the Select Committee on Intelligence of the United States, nomination of R. James Woolsey to be director of Central Intelligence, Tuesday, February 2, and Wednesday, February 3, 1993, p. 32: "Jamestown Foundation. Director 1986-1989. ... Member, board of Advisors: 1992-Present. Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs: Member, Advisory Board 1988-1989, 1991-Present."
- *) Senator Henry Jackson was a co-founder and early board member of the Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs (according to a 2011 JINSA email to ISGP).
*) December 14, 1986, Gadsden Times, 'Conservative scholar believed key figure in Iran deal': "Ledeen has been identified in Israel and in the United States as being a key player in the initial talks that eventually resulted in the sale of weapons – through Israel – to Iran in the summer of 1985. … Ledeen’s name was also raised in connection with a 1985 meeting with arms merchant Manucher Ghorbanifar, an Iranian expatriate, who, along with Adnan Khashoggi, a Saudi Arabian, were middlemen in the deals. … Ledeen told associates that he met Ghorbanifar several times in Europe between July and December 1985, the Chicago Tribune reported a month ago. … Israeli officials in Jerusalem said Ledeen told former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres in the early spring of 1985 that the United States wanted to re-establish contact with Iran. … Hours after speaking with Ledeen, peres talked to Al Schwimmer, the U.S.-born founder of Israel Aircraft Industries, according to a report in Haaretz, an Israeli newspaper. … It was Schwimmer’s idea to bater weapons for Buckley’s freedom, and Schwimmer turned for help to Israeli arms dealer Yaacov Nimrodi, according to the paper. Ledeen is a founder of the Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs." February 2, 1987, Boca Raton News, p. 3A: "[Michael] Ledeen said he has spent a month in Israel on two occasions, staying with his family at quarters furnished at favorable rates by the privately funded Jerusalem Foundation. He said he has been an editor and board member of the Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs, which advocates close U.S.-Israeli military ties."
- *) Jackson and Cline were both involved in the American Security Council.
*) 2006, Joseph Trento, 'Prelude to Terror', p. 283: "The admiration of Israel by the neocons was shared by Ted Shackley. One of Shackley's friends and business associates was Michael Ledeen... Lawrence Walsh, the Iran-Contra special prosecutor, wrote in his book 'Firewall': "Ledeen was more than a messenger. He had pressed McFarlane to open discussion with (Shimon) Peres and had become the Washington spokesman for the Israeli arms merchants and Ghorbanifar. It was Ledeen who would use Shackley--and his influence with Bush--to orchestrate what would become the arms-for-hostages scheme with Israel as a partner. Ledeen was a certified good guy to the private intelligence network. He had lobbied hard against the prosecution of Tom Clines and Richard Secord over EATSCO."
*) In 1980, Ledeen worked for the Italian military intelligence service as a "risk assessment" consultant. In 1981, Michael Ledeen then became Special Adviser to secretary of state Alexander Haig.
*) July 2006, Vanity Fair, 'The War They Wanted, the Lies They Needed': "The first took place in 1980, when Francesco Pazienza, a charming and sophisticated Propaganda Due operative at the highest levels of SISMI, allegedly teamed up with an American named Michael Ledeen, a Rome correspondent for The New Republic. According to The Wall Street Journal, Pazienza said he first met Ledeen that summer, through a SISMI agent in New York who was working under the cover of a U.N. job. ... A 1985 investigation by Jonathan Kwitny in The Wall Street Journal reported that the New Republic article was part of a larger disinformation scam run by Ledeen and SISMI to tilt the election, and that “Billy Carter wasn’t the only one allegedly getting money from a foreign government.” According to Pazienza, Kwitny reported, Michael Ledeen had received at least $120,000 from SISMI in 1980 or 1981 for his work on Billygate [with Arnaud de Borchgrave] and other projects. Ledeen even had a coded identity, Z-3, and had money sent to him in a Bermuda bank account, Pazienza said. Ledeen told the Journal that a consulting firm he owned, I.S.I., worked for SISMI and may have received the money. He said he did not recall whether he had a coded identity. ... Pazienza was subsequently convicted in absentia on multiple charges, including having used extortion and fraud to obtain embarrassing facts about Billy Carter. Ledeen was never charged with any crime, but he was cited in Pazienza’s indictment, which read, “With the illicit support of the SISMI and in collaboration with the well-known American ‘Italianist’ Michael Ledeen, Pazienza succeeded in extorting, also using fraudulent means, information … on the Libyan business of Billy Carter, the brother of the then President of the United States.” In an interview with Vanity Fair, Ledeen denied having worked with Pazienza or Propaganda Due as part of a disinformation scheme. “I knew Pazienza,” he explained. “I didn’t think P-2 existed. I thought it was all nonsense—typical Italian fantasy.” He added, “I’m not aware that anything in [the Billygate] story turned out to be false.” Asked if he had worked with SISMI, Ledeen told Vanity Fair, “No,” then added, “I had a project with SISMI—one project.” He described it as a simple “desktop” exercise in 1979 or 1980, in which he taught Italian intelligence how to deal with U.S. officials on extradition matters. His fee, he said, was about $10,000."
*) 2005, Daniele Ganser, 'Nato's Secret Armies', pp. 74-75: "Frank Gigliotti [Presbyterian/Methodist priest; one-time assistant to a hypnotist; worked with teenaged boys, for whom he organized a social club with the peculiar name Giuseppe Mazzini Club; OSS Italy; Mason] of the US Masonic Lodge personally recruited Gelli and instructed him to set up an anti-Communist parallel government in Italy in close cooperation with the CIA station in Rome. 'It was Ted Shackley [Le Cercle], director of all covert operations of the CIA in Italy in the 1970s', an internal report of the Italian anti-terrorism unit confirmed, 'who presented the chief of the Masonic Lodge to Alexander Haig'. According to the document, Nixon's Military adviser General Haig [later Pilgrims Society executive], who had commanded US troops in vietnam and thereafter from 1974 to 1979 served as NATO's SACEUR, and Nixon's National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger [Pilgrims Society; Le Cercle] 'authorized Gelli in the fall of 1969 to recruit 400 high ranking Italian and NATO officers into his lodge'. (60)
- *) 1993, JINSA, 'Security Affairs', p. 12: "Officers: ... Vice Chairman - Morris J. Amitay [executive director AIPAC] ... Advisory Board: Amb. Max Kampelman, Chr.; Douglas Feith, Vice Chr., ... The Hon. Jack Kemp, The Hon. Jeane J. Kirkpatrick, ... Prof. Michael Ledeen, ... Joshua Muravchik, The Hon. Richard Perle, ... Prof. Eugene V, Rostow, Adm. Sumner Shapiro (Ret.), ... Gen. John Vogt (Ret.), Adm. Elmo Zumwalt (Ret.). ... Amb. Paul D. Wolfowitz, now Co-Chairman of JINSA's Board of Advisors... "
*) JINSA website, advisory council (accessed: July 11, 2001): "Hon. John Bolton ... Hon. Dick Cheney ... Adm. David Jeremiah ... Amb. max M. Kampelman ... Hon. Jack Kemp ... Dr. Jeane J. Kirkpatrick ... Prof. Michael Ledeen ... The Hon. Richard Perle ... Prof. Eugene Rostow ... R. Adm. Sumner Shapiro ... Hon. R. James Woolsey." Bolton and Cheney gone by December 18 checkup, but the rest is still there. Bolton later returned to the board.
- January 18, 2012, Forward magazine, 'JINSA Leadership in Flux After Ouster Perle and Woolsey Quit Hawkish Jewish Security Think Tank': "The Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs recently terminated the second-highest-ranking staff member, who has been with the organization for more than three decades. The move, a culmination of months of internal struggle, prompted several conservative icons to quit the group’s advisory board in protest. Among those turning their back on JINSA were former CIA director James Woolsey, former top Pentagon official Richard Perle and neoconservative figure Michael Ledeen. ... JINSA, was founded in 1976, three years after Israel’s Yom Kippur War; one of its main goals was to ensure strong military cooperation between the United States and Israel by educating the American defense establishment on Israel’s strategic importance. ... News of JINSA’s troubled internal relations surfaced January 10 with the announcement that Shoshana Bryen, until recently senior director for security policy, had joined the Jewish Policy Center, an up-and-coming conservative Jewish think tank associated with the Republican Jewish Coalition. The statement marked the end of a months-long battle between Bryen and her bosses. Bryen had been at JINSA for 32 years and, according to a prominent lay leader, was considered its “public face.” She served as JINSA’s executive director from 1981 to 1991 and is credited with transforming the organization from a small think tank into a player in the Washington conservative scene. She later took charge of issues relating to defense policies and was the main author of the group’s reports and position papers. Bryen’s blunt analysis of the Middle East gave her a reputation as a hawkish straight shooter, short on nuance and willing to take on the conventional wisdom. For instance, she opposed talks with the Palestine Liberation Organization even when negotiations were endorsed by a Republican administration; even now, defying much of the rhetoric of supporters of Benjamin Netanyahu’s government, she thinks an Israeli attack on Iran is unlikely. It is this style that, according to a key JINSA lay leader, got Bryen in trouble. Accounts provided to the Forward by board members and individuals close to the organization, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the personal nature of the dispute, portrayed a tense relationship between Bryen and JINSA’s president, David Ganz, a successful Boston businessman who is also the group’s largest single donor. The two have sparred over issues relating to JINSA’s future and the focus of its programs. Officials involved with the group said that Ganz viewed Bryen’s direct style and her open opposition to decisions made by the board as problematic."
- See ISGP's article on the supranational suspects behind 9/11 for details.